COMMON BANKING SAFETY TIPS:
Your finances are one of the most important parts of your life. Keep them safe.
- Balance and check your account statements early and often. With online branch channels, you can check your accounts everyday if needed.
- Keep your receipts, and always write down all transactions made and checks written. Make sure to use exact amounts! "Rounding" may only cause more problems when an error does occur.
- Notify the bank of any errors you notice as soon as possible.
- When disposing of old papers with financial details or personal information make sure they are shredded first.
- Only deal with companies and businesses you trust.
- Always be completely aware of all agreements you enter into regarding automated deposits, withdrawals, and funds collection with any group or business, online and off.
- Always write checks in blue or black ink, never other colors or pencil. Do not use “gel pens” as well.
- Always notify the bank as soon as possible when changing names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and mailing addresses.
- Always be extra cautious if you are traveling outside the country, and notify the bank where and when you will be traveling.
- Always be wary of giving out personal and financial information out over the phone or online.
- Never post date a check.
- Never pre-sign a check or withdrawal slip.
- For important papers and cherished items, consider acquiring a safe deposit box.
- Be prepared for the future: Make provisions for your all your finances in case of ill-health or death.